Saturday, November 12, 2011

Red Arrows

I live near an air force base. Even though I'm in a rural area, I often hear military jets overhead. Having grown up on air bases, I rather enjoy the added noise. A few months ago, the air base hosted an air show. I think I'll always be a sucker for air shows. They are so damn cool.

The Red Arrows
The Red Arrows
The Patrouille de France
The loudest jet I've ever heard: The Vulcan
 The Vulcan in particular was a treat, as it is the last airworthy Vulcan in existence. When the Red Arrows performed, although spectacular, it was on a somber note. One of their own had died in a crash not a month earlier; Flt Lt Jon Egging. They flew in the "missing man" formation and throughout the day, there were only eight Red Arrows instead of the usual nine. I was surprised and saddened to see that another Red Arrow pilot, Flt Lt Sean Cunningham, has died due to an extremely rare and unusual ejector seat malfunction. It is hard to think what could have happened, as ejector seats are "pinned" until just before the pilot is ready to taxi (so they don't accidentally activate while the pilot is getting situated and strapped in). My thoughts go out to the families.

No comments: